Australian honey news and information

Comparing honey and table sugar for calories and glycemic Index (GI)

calories glycemic index sugar

Comparing honey and table sugar for calories and glycemic Index (GI)

 Honey is often used as a substitute for sugar, both in cooking, in desserts and in drinks like tea or coffee. And many consumers believe honey, as a wholly natural product, is healthier or better for you than table sugar. Of course, honey is itself mostly sugar and indeed is typically composed of around 80% natural sugars (mostly fructose and sucrose). The other 20% of honey is mostly water, with a tiny amount of fat, salt and traces of fibre, protein and minerals. However there are significant differences between table sugar and honey which are very important in a health...

Read more →


Bega Cheese launches Bhoney range at Coles

Bega Cheese Bhoney Capilano

Bega Cheese launches Bhoney range at Coles

BHoney is a new Australian honey product on the shelves at Coles supermarkets. Its available in a range of sizes and types of containers, and includes 2 varietal honeys – red gum and yellow gum. Its produced by the ASX listed Bega Cheese and represents a major challenge to market leader - Capilano. Bega Cheese is well known to Australian consumers, both via its cheese products and its range of spreads. Its also well-known because a few years back it bought the rights to produce and market a range of spreads from Kraft foods, including the iconic Vegemite and Krafts...

Read more →


You can buy R Stephens leatherwood honey here for direct shipping to the USA

You can buy R Stephens leatherwood honey here for direct shipping to the USA

Yes,  you can buy R Stephens leatherwood honey here at Tastyhoney.com and have it shipped direct to the USA

A single 500gram (i.e. 1.1lb jar) of R Stephens Tasmanian leatherwood honey costs around $US8-9 , so its definitely affordable.

Read more →


Capilano returns to selling imported honey - Cloverdale

Capilano Chinese imports Hive and Wellness

Capilano returns to selling imported honey - Cloverdale

Capilano has announced plans to sell imported honey again.

Now officially known as Hive and Wellness Australia, the company stopped selling imported honey in Australia last year, following a public and consumer backlash.

Most of Capilano’s imported honey had been coming from China, but the company had failed to disclose that fact on its product labels.

Now however, lower honey production because of the recent bushfires appears to have given the company an opportunity to reboot its importing programme.

Read more →


Fundraising initiatives helping Aussie beekeepers affected by drought and bushfires

Fundraising initiatives helping Aussie beekeepers affected by drought and bushfires

The livelihoods of many Australian beekeepers have been threatened and even wiped out entirely in recent times, first by drought, and more recently, by the terrible bushfires.

Funds are being raised to help them  through the industry backed Hive Aid, as well as through a number of private online initiatives.

Information and links to some of them are detailed here.

 

Read more →